Thursday, January 26, 2012

Impending Doom

See these things?






They eat. A lot. Not what I set in front of them at dinner, mind, but they do eat stuff.

Unfortunately for this situation, my work has announced a round of impending layoffs. I think my chances are worse than many; I have less credentials than others and less experience. I have volunteered for a few dirty jobs; such a thing may redeem me or at least count for a good recommendation.

Right now I am trying to avoid the blues/the panic/the inevitable "but unemployment would mean so much writing time!" thoughts. (I already work from home. I have tons of writing time. It's just that lately I've used it to play the drums because HOLY CRAP THIS IS STRESSFUL.)

If you read this blog, you probably know me; if you don't, I have many years' experience teaching and tutoring with a major emphasis in online pedagogy, a Master's in English, a TESOL certification and a lot of experience with special-needs students. I worked for two years in publishing. I taught wilderness survival skills once (although I know eff-all about doing that stuff in the Northwest; drop me in a desert and I'd be fine).

We're trying to stay in the Northwest if possible. If you know of any steady, real jobs, holla.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I know about a job that might be opening up soon. I'll let you know if it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no knowledge of jobs that fit your qualifications. That situation just sucks, though, not knowing and everything. Oh, you are chatting with me on gmail, I'll continue my conversation there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not laid off! Phew. Now for the survivor's guilt...

      Delete